I’m sure most if you have shipped or received something via UPS, probably usually without incident. If you’ve been the sender, you may remember being told that your item was “covered” for up to $100 in value, and that you … Continue reading
As expected, both men reset their trials again. Both are set for a pre-trial conference on 5/30/2014 and scheduled for a jury trial in the 339th District Court on 06/02/2014. I wonder if the cases will actually go to trial … Continue reading
In her written response to one of my posts, Natalie wrote: Did you know that the police could find nothing on Dr. Curley or Mr. Lehman’s computers linking them to this crime? Did you know that even though their divorce … Continue reading
This is one of the cases that made my list – even though it isn’t in Texas. While it involves Eblaster, it’s unique in that a woman is the cyber criminal. In my unscientific opinion, from the cases I’ve seen, it usually seems to be the husband or boyfriend resorting to spyware. Or at least getting caught using it!
Prior to the marriage, Wife purchased spyware called “eBlaster.” eBlaster is a computer software program that can perform various spyware functions. It can record every keystroke made on the computer on which it is installed. It can also keep track of all websites visited and all applications used on that computer, and it can capture screenshots of instant messages and cached webpages. Further, it can be directed to automatically forward copies of incoming email accessed on that computer to a third party email address.
After the marriage, Wife surreptitiously installed eBlaster on Husband’s work computer. She set up the program to send a report of all computer activities to her email address every hour.
After about 1.5 years of marriage, the marriage had deteriorated. Wife filed for divorce.
Husband hired a forensic computer expert to…
View original post 1,071 more words
A post I like from another blogger. Short and sweet!
I really wouldn’t have bothered to go through all of this trouble, except that the current Mrs. Curley piqued my interest by claiming as fact a few unsubstantiated dates and events. When I started casually searching, I found more than I expected and am working on compiling it all. This post will be a work in progress, as I don’t think I can finish it in one sitting, so please bear with me. I’m not sure yet if I will edit this post or add installments like a penny serial.
I have tried to document as many cases as possible of Eblaster specifically, and especially those occurring in Texas. It has been frustrating for me to have a similar case pending against my ex husband, and not be able to find much follow up on what happened in these cases after the initial report made the news. My interest in Steven Curley was simply that it was currently pending in Texas and involved Eblaster. I have more posts on the Curley case – and more personal outrage – because it is going on right now, and the delays alarm me because I have this vision of my ex dragging it out even after indictment. Do I know if Dr Curley is guilty? I do not. Do I believe that Dr Curley is guilty? While I am not privy to evidence or court information, it is my personal belief that Dr. Curley probably did install, or cause to be installed, Spectorsoft Eblaster on a computer used by Karen Beaty, without her consent. Based on my own experience with investigators and a District Attorney’s office, I find it hard to believe that the Harris County District Attorney would seek and obtain an indictment without an awful lot of really solid evidence – computer forensics, software purchase information, IP address mapping, access records from email accounts…. That Natalie claimed the police found nothing on Dr Curley or Hank Lehmann’s computers strikes me as less than the whole story – Dr Curley’s request to the court – that wasn’t until March 2014 (despite Natalie’s assertation that the defense has been trying to obtain the prosecutions evidence all along) – specifically requested copies of evidence that had been obtained through UT and MD Anderson. I welcome any proof that can be offered to substantiate her claims. My personal opinion is also that Dr Curley is taking advantage of his skill and reputation as the Man Who Might Cure Cancer, to draw attention away from the felony Illegal Intercept charges, and further believe that if convicted, he will argue that the greater good is served by him not being accountable for anything he may be convicted of. A felony conviction would result in a minimum mandatory sentence, and mean that he could no longer hold a professional license. If Dr Curley is innocent, I hope that he can prove it and hold the woman who accused him of a felony, criminally accountable. As a side note, I find it odd that Hank Lehmann’s case records with the Harris County District Clerk (the supposed accomplice, and allegedly the man who actually installed the software) don’t reflect the same requests and information as Dr. Curley’s. It seems that it is in both defendants best interests to present as being unified in their innocence.
I’m not quite sure yet where this is going; I get the feeling that the people of Erie, PA think that Dr Steven Curley has a lot more to answer for than installing a surveillance program on his second wife’s computer. Search through the archived articles at GoErie.com and you’ll see what I mean. If nothing else, their outrage at the Kanzius Foundation being funded by loving donations and then the fruits of the foundation’s labors being sold for lots and lots of money…well, they are asking for answers that I think are more than deserved.
As for my original intent, I got curious when Natalie Wright Curley showed an interest in posting her side of the story on my website. I personally lean toward thinking that her statement that she “met and married” Dr Curley in 2012 seems a bit convenient in it’s time frame. I am not positive from her online divorce documents when her marriage to Joseph Wright was formally terminated, but in June 2012, the case shows orders being made. She worked for MD Anderson in at least two positions by 2012, both of which had to do with Intellectual Property. (I will provide links to substantiate that asap)
Natalie claimed that the Beaty/Curley marriage had ended because of an affair on the part of Karen Beaty. She has not provided any information that shows that possibility; my guess is that the 3rd Ms. Curley is repeating what her husband told her. I have an ex husband, and am familiar with the spin they put on their previous marriages in order to gain sympathy and support.
Natalie states that Beaty stalled divorce proceedings to try to get “more money”, and attempted to obtain $1,000,000 from Steven Curley, in exchange for Karen not going to the police with the spyware allegations; she also claims that Ms. Beaty is still trying to get more money from Dr. Curley. Karen A. Beaty seems, according to the information I can find online, to be a more than competent professional Physicians Assistant. Ms. Beaty has co-authored published medical research papers, both with and without Dr. Curley. She makes a rather respectable annual salary at MD Anderson, and has been praised in another WordPress blog as a wonderful PA by the wife of a cancer victim. None of what I have found so far leads me to believe that Karen Beaty is a gold digger with a grudge. My opinion at this time is that she was probably an active, vital part of Dr. Curley’s Kanzius related research, and felt that she was entitled to a portion of the potential financial gain that Dr Curley was likely to come into after he acquired the rights to the Kanzius intellectual property and patents.
- 05/11/1985 Beverlee Jean___________ and Steven Curley married
- 01/22/1997 Beverlee Jean Curley – Felony Possession of a Controlled Substance Case No. 97-DCR-028897 **if you look up this case on the Fort Bend County website, it has two entries for this same case. I’m not sure how drug felonies are handled, but it seems that this one was reopened and dismissed in 2010. Five years after Beverlee died, and long after her probation was over.
- 07/??/1999 Radiofrequency ablation of unresectable primary and metastatic hepatic malignancies: results in 123 patients. A scientific publication co-authored by Steven Curley
- 12/??/1999 Intraoperative radiofrequency ablation or cryoablation for hepatic malignancies. A scientific publication co-authored by Steven Curley
- 09/??/2000 Radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular cancer in 110 patients with cirrhosis A scientific publication co-authored by Steven Curley
- 07/02/2001 Natalie Jo Wright (nee ??) marries Joseph C Wright
- 07/09/2002 Beverlee Jean Curley (b 07/06/1955) files for divorce from Steven A. Curley (b 03/08/1956)
- 07/14/2003 Beverlee J Curley and Steven A Curley divorce final
- 04/??/2004 Early and late complications after radiofrequency ablation of malignant liver tumors in 608 patients. A scientific publication co-authored by Karen Beaty and Steven Curley, among others.
- 12/01/2004 Staging of Gastrointestinal Malignancies A scientific publication co-authored by Karen Beaty and Steven Curley, among others.
- 05/27/2005 Beverlee Jean Curley purchases a home at 2710 Grants Lake Blvd, in Sugarland , Tx
- 07/06/2005 Beverlee Jean Curley dies on her 50th birthday. Brief death notice here.
- ??/??/2007 Karen Beaty attends 2007 Presidents Banquet (photo I’ve uploaded here is found on page 7 in link) as the fiancé of Steven Curley
- 05/26/2007 Karen Annette Beaty marries Steven A Curley
- 02/??/2008 Noninvasive radiofrequency field-induced hyperthermic cytotoxicity in human cancer cells using cetuximab-targeted gold nanoparticles. scientific publication co-authored by Steven Curley
- 02/18/2009 Death of John Kanzius, the inventor of radio wave cancer treatment technology
- 03/31/2009 Divorce filed Harris County Case# 200919667- 7 Joseph C Wright vs Natalie Jo Wright
- 03/??/2010 Use of nanoparticles for targeted, noninvasive thermal destruction of malignant cells. Scientific publication co-authored by Steven Curley
- 04/??/2010 Effectiveness of positron emission tomography for predicting chemotherapy response in colorectal cancer liver metastases. A scientific publication co-authored by Karen Beaty and Steven Curley, among others
- 07/??/2010 Radiofrequency field-induced thermal cytotoxicity in cancer cells treated with fluorescent nanoparticles. Scientific publication co-authored by Steven Curley
- 08/??/2010 Pancreatic carcinoma cells are susceptible to noninvasive radio frequency fields after treatment with targeted gold nanoparticles.
- 11/17/2010 Divorce filed in Beaty / Curley marriage
- 12/??/2010 Noninvasive radiofrequency field destruction of pancreatic adenocarcinoma xenografts treated with targeted gold nanoparticles. A scientific publication co-authored by Steven Curley
- 11/??/2011 Steven Curley allegedly installs Eblaster software on computer belonging to Karen Annette Beaty-Curley
- ??/??/2012 CT imaging interval after complete cytoreductive surgery/hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for well-differentiated adenocarcinoma of the appendix (WDAA) Published study co-authored by Karen A. Beaty
- 01/13/2012 Fort Bend Co Final divorce decree of Beaty / Curley
- 02/06/2012 Published annual salary of Physician Asst at UT MD Anderson; Karen Beaty is 3rd on the list, at $115,200. A nice salary for someone portrayed as a gold digger.
- ??/??/2012 Natalie Jo Wright (b 01/26/1972) marries Steven A Curley
- 06/06/2012 Natalie Wright / Joseph Wright divorce final Harris County District Clerk
- ??/??/2013 Natalie Wright Curley leaves MD Anderson
- 01/??/2013 AkesoGenX Corp founded
- 02/28/2013 Fort Bend Co order in Beaty/Curley divorce for award to Karen Beaty for an asset of the marriage concealed through entry of orders. (I have personal experience with this common clause in a divorce. To encourage honesty in the dividing of assets, the final order may contain language that grants any asset concealed or not disclosed by either party in a divorce will be awarded in its entirety to the party from which it was hidden.
- 06/13/2013 Comment on Kanzius Research Blog with interesting points made as to Dr Curley’s connection to and purchase of the Kanzius technology after the death of John Kanzius, as well as making a relevant point about Natalie Wright Curley’s area of legal expertise and her former job description at MD Anderson. See excerpt below *****
- 07/??/2013 Promise Health formed; a medical devices and equipment company. Includes Natalie Wright-Curley, Mike Wandell, Dmitri Lapotko, David Sullivan, Mick Fleming
- 08/06/2013 Steven A Curley indicted for felony Intercepting Electronic Communication; Harris County Tx
- 10/29/2013 Natalie Wright Curley article advocating the use of tracking and storing individuals private information (Tracking systems are seamlessly integrated in the technologies that make our lives easier and more convenient.) “How Big Data Is Shaping The Future of Healthcare” published in Texas Ceo Magazine
- 12/??/2013 Steven Curley “retires” from MD Anderson
- 01/13/2014 The Kanzius Cancer Research Foundation announced that Curley is now the chief of the Division of Surgical Oncology and associate director for clinical affairs at the Dan L. Duncan Cancer Center at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.
- 01/13/2014 AkesoGenX Corp. announced that it had acquired the Kanzius cancer treatment technology from Therm Med, a partnership that the late John Kanzius created for his invention. “We purchased the intellectual property for the devise and the right to hold the patents,” said Robert Zavala, co-founder and chief executive for AkesoGenX Corp…Zavala, described as a nanotechnology expert, and Curley created AkesoGenX Corp
- 01/28/2013 Karen Beaty mentioned in another WordPress blog, a flattering verbal picture of her in the
- 03/??/2014 Gold nanoparticles and radiofrequency in experimental models for hepatocellular carcinoma. A scientific publication co-authored by Steven Curley
*****This is easier to cut and paste, as the entry I am wanting to showcase is rather far down in the page. But you can certainly follow the link and scroll down to verify that I copied it unedited:
06/13/2013 Kanzius Research Blog: I am not sure that everyone who has commented here understands that
“Kanzius Cancer Research Foundation” (KCRF) and “Therm Med LLC” (TM) are two separate business entities with entirely different roles and responsibilities.
KCRF is responsible for fund-raising for the research that “is currently” being researched at University of Texas – MD Anderson with studies led by Steven A. Curley. That’s all they can do based on their incorporation status.
John Kanzius incorporated
TM as a limited partnership which is the assignee of the two patents. See also wikipedia article on Therm Med for patent and business registration in the “References” section http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therm_Med,_LLC and
http://www.thermmed.com for email to the corporation.
The shares of TM have been distributed to over 15 people — where Mary Ann Kanzius is both the General Manager and majority shareholder. Only TM can file the paperwork with the FDA. Also, remember, this invention was conceived at a kitchen table with pie pans and the partners at Therm Med are not experts in patents, licensing, or commercialization process. It takes a tremendous amount of money, time, energy to deal with all the legalese and the adversarial capitalistic environment of business.
I think we need to remember that John Kanzius invented this rf generator outside of an academic institution. The majority of inventions are created either at a university or an established corporation. The process for a researcher at MD Anderson would go to Office of Technology Commercialization and coordinate with them to get the patent issued and licensed. Inventing a patent in this environment is easier because you have experts to walk you through the process.
http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/doing-business/partners-and-affiliates/technology-commercialization/our-staff/index.html (Note that staff includes Natalie Wright Curley is Steven Curley’s wife).
Because the patent is not held by the university, they are not responsible for filing any legal or business paperwork. Only TM can file with the FDA.
I imagine that both legal fees (patent filing, corporate registration, tax filing, and lawsuits) along with manufacturing fees for the many versions of the rf generator are piling up. (For legal representation see: http://calfee.com/attorney/todd-f-palmer/ and for manufacturing see: Industrial Sales and Manufacturing http://www.ismerie.com/)
I think many are quick to blame.
I agree chemotherapy was not part of John’s original vision. However, if the technology works, then there is an urgency to bring it to market to save lives. Who knows what John would have thought about adding a very small dosage of chemotherapy? He had over 30 treatments of chemo didn’t he?
It is reasonable to be angry with cancer, and the inability for corporations/doctors/hospitals to find the answer to this disease. Additionally, there is a lack of a streamlined government system to make jumping through the hoops easier for businesses to be developed and funded.
Remember, there is no way to see the whole picture and the only way to possibly try is by standing in their shoes.
I think I listed many of the key players, shareholders and some of the potential difficulties that exist.
I had posted this and then removed it because someone wrote and gave me quite a bit of grief over it. After considering carefully, I am reposting it. The beauty of the USA and my freedom of speech is that I am allowed to publicly voice my opinion that elected officials have made mistakes. Being quiet and trying to “play nice” has gotten me consistently fucked over in this divorce. Pardon my squeaking wheel.
When Judge Jaime Tijerina was appointed by Gov. Rick Perry to fill the position vacated by Ricardo Rodriguez, I was optimistic. Even knowing that he had gone to school with my exhusband from elementary school at Our Lady of Sorrows all the way through McAllen High School.
I mean how much worse could it get, right?
Famous last words.
I’m working on a nice detailed timeline to post, but a few of the highlights:
1) When shown documentation of a $100,000 settlement that my ex had tried to conceal from me, the judge simply ASKED my ex what was “left”, without requiring any sort of accounting or proof, and accepted my ex’s verbal estimate of $10,000 as gospel. He then misstated the source of the funds in the judgement, and refused to correct it in our final orders.
2) In our April 3 hearing, Judge Tijerina was shown documentation of an asset that was purchased before final orders were given. Judge Tijerina refused to enforce his own order that any asset concealed from me during the trial and judgement would be awarded to me.
3) Because my ex travels out of the country regularly and has family in Mexico, I have repeatedly asked for restrictions on my daughters passport. The part of the orders concerning her passport, presented for entry by my ex’s attorneys, bore no resemblance to what the transcript of the judges oral orders stated. Judge Tijerina ignored my protests and further refused to make the rewritten orders reflect what he had proclaimed. I requested that at least the written orders be amended to mirror federal passport law, and was refused, with Judge Tijerina saying “the law will prevail over the orders”.
What the fuck?
As I know first hand, what is “legal” and what a government employee, elected official, or officer of the court does can be at opposite ends of the spectrum. As an example, how about Judge Tijerina’s predecessor, Hidalgo County’s next District Attorney Ricardo Rodriguez? He blithely made those Temporary Orders Pending Appeal in this SAME CASE, that were out of his jurisdiction by 8 months. And then proceeded to enforce them, for which my protest of earned me 2 weeks in jail and a restraining order.
4) According to what my attorney relayed to me regarding what was said “off the record” in chambers, Judge Tijerina told the attorneys that he wanted this case out of his court! I have requested repeatedly that this case be moved – neither my ex nor I lived in Hidalgo County when he filed for divorce, and we now live 4 hours away.
But I guess now this case is inconvenient for the judge. What do you think my odds are of getting another court to fix what this court has spent four years screwing up?
5) Back between August and November, when a total of FIVE different judges had been assigned to this case, and it had been rescheduled by the court (not including the two continuances the parties had agreed to) THIRTEEN TIMES, I started getting a little worried. So I did what any voting taxpayer would do: I started calling my elected officials.
Sen. Judith Zaffirini’s office ran it by their legal team and they agreed that a phone call letting the latest judge (Tijerina) know that this tax paying, voting mother was desperately ready for a fair trial. Please quit with the rescheduling and get this three year old case wrapped up.
Judge Jaime Tijerina’s reaction to Senator Zaffirini doing her job as my elected official? To call my attorney and REPRIMAND me, via my lawyer. I was told to “call off the dogs” – if I’d made any other phone calls, that I needed to make sure no one else called about my case.
6) At our hearing at 1:30 Thursday April 3, 2014, we were the only thing on the docket for that afternoon. That date had been selected after the court set a hearing date without bothering to check with my side as to our availability. So my attorney and I make an 8 hour round trip, only to be told by Judge Jaime Tijerina when we get there, that we have TWENTY MINUTES, because he has somewhere he needs to be. After rescheduling me more than a dozen times in the last year or so, one more would have certainly been preferable to an 8 hour trip to see a judge who apparently has no interest at all in actually doing his job.
And those dogs I called off? I won’t make that mistake again. I forgot how much it intimidates would be authority figures when an individual knows and exercises their rights.
I would like to once again thank the OWLS for graciously taking the time to be in the courtroom. I am grateful that I had respected and impartial witnesses present to hear that a judge was too busy to do his job, refused to enforce his own order, and insisted upon leaving language in an order that he knew was in direct conflict with federal lawn.
Dear Ms. Terry,
I am so sorry for the struggles you have with your ex husband. It sounds like a very difficult road. But, I truly feel that I must speak out against people that assume the criminal allegations against Steve Curley are true.
Has it occurred to you that our criminal “justice” system can be used as a weapon and that Dr. Curley may be the victim? Did you know that his marriage to Karen Beaty ended because Ms. Beaty had an affair with her physical therapist in 2009? Did you know that she stalled the divorce proceedings, in spite of her wrong doings to try and get more money from Dr. Curley? Did you know she tried to extract $1 million dollars in exchange for not making this allegation? Did you know that the police could find nothing on Dr. Curley or Mr. Lehman’s computers linking them to this crime? Did you know that even though their divorce has been final over three years, that she is still trying to extract money from him?
I met and married Steven Curley in 2012 and he is the kindest most loving man I have ever met. Not only is he a wonderful husband and father, he is an amazing cancer surgeon, not just because of his astute technical skill, but because he actually gives a damn about his patients.
The delays in this case have also been heartbreaking to us, as “someone” has anonymously been making complaints to the Texas Medical Board and insurance carriers trying to prevent Dr. Curley from practicing medicine and attempting to destroy his career that he has taken over 20 years to build. His patients are also the losers in this. It has taken months for our attorneys to obtain information from third parties to try and prove his innocence…which is exactly what the system is making us do.
So while I appreciate your concern in tracking similar cases and feeling like you are doing something in response to a very broken system, I implore you not to convict my husband in the public eye when you have no idea what the real facts are.
Natalie Wright Curley
For some reason, only Erie, PA journalist Emily Matson and I seem to be at all concerned with this case dragging on. Thank you and applause to her for getting more information. The following is quoted directly from her 03/26/14 article. It can be seen in its natural setting here.
The top doctor at the John Kanzius Cancer Research Foundation will make his way into a Texas courtroom in April.
57-year old Dr. Steven Curley is charged with illegally spying on his ex-wife’s computer activities.
A hearing that was scheduled for Wednesday in Harris County, Texas is now set for April 15th.
His lawyers are trying to get their expert to take a forensic look at his ex-wife’s computer.
Curley is facing a felony charge for allegedly installing tracking software on his ex-wife’s computer, without her knowledge.
Curley is free on $10,000 bond.
He’s still working on the Kanzius project, at the Baylor College of Medicine.
Awesome. He’s free to move about the cabin. I wonder what kind of deal he would get if convicted…you know, with MD Anderson, Kanzius and Baylot pulling strings for him? Or are those strings keeping him out of court altogether?
You are, I am certain, flabbergasted to discover the unexpected and startling news that the MD Anderson doctor and his alleged sidekick did not face the justice system today. Once again, both criminal cases have been reset; this time both … Continue reading